Step 1: Check your supplier's name
The supplier’s name in QuickBooks should match the supplier’s name or the supplier’s code in SimpleOrder:
1. Compare the vendors/suppliers names:
Click Suppliers on the left menu panel in SimpleOrder.
Depending on your QuickBooks version on left menu in QB click Vendors Or Expenses -> Vendors
(UK version of Quickbooks click Suppliers).
SimpleOrder > Suppliers:
QuickBooks > Vendors / Expenses -> Vendors
If your vendor does not exist click on New vendor:
- Add the vendor's name in 'Display name as' field (mandatory). Note: If you are using a supplier's code in SimpleOrder, the name in QuickBooks should match the code rather than the name. Example: If your supplier name is Demo supplier in SimpleOrder but you assigned the code DS234 for Demo Supplier, then the display name in QuickBooks should be DS234.
- Add vendor's address in address section (optional). This address will appear on the bill once an order of this vendor is being synced.
- Set bill payment terms (optional): you can set terms at the account level or the vendor level. The terms will appear on the bill when the invoice is synced.
To set payment terms at profile level so it affects all vendors : click on gear icon at the top left -> Account and Settings -> Expenses -> Default bill payment terms.
If you have payment terms at account level and at vendor level, vendor level takes precedence.
Step 2: Tag your SimpleOrder supplier's products
SimpleOrder uses product tags to identify which expense account should be used within QuickBooks:
- In your SO account click Suppliers then click on one supplier's catalog.
- In the supplier's catalog check the boxes for the products you would like to tag. Once you tick a checkbox, the Set Tag menu will appear at the top of the page.
- Click on Set Tag to open the dropdown and select a tag. The tag will then appear under the “Tag” column for that product.SimpleOrder comes with a default list of tags. In order to add tags to the list click Set Tag > Create Tag.
- If you have sub-accounts in QuickBooks you can use the last sub-account's name as the tag name in SimpleOrder. For example, Dairy is a sub account of Grocery and Grocery is a sub-account of Food. You can use Dairy as the tag in SimpleOrder, as long as dairy is a unique account in QuickBooks.
4. In QuickBooks, under Transactions > Chart of Accounts (UK version: Transactions -> Charts of Accounts) check that you have the tag names you create in SimpleOrder. If it does not exist create the account: click on New and add type and name. The TYPE can be Expenses or Cost of goods sold and Name is not case sensitive (detail type is not important but mandatory field).
Step 3: Connect QuickBooks with SimpleOrder
- In SO, on the left menu panel click Settings > Add-ons. (If your Add-ons feature is not enabled please contact our support team at email@example.com).
- Locate QuickBooks Online on the list of add-ons and click Connect. This will redirect you to QuickBooks login page.
- Login to QuickBooks and click Authorize. You will automatically be redirected back to SimpleOrder.
- If you have an Accounts Payable account on QuickBooks click OK on the pop-up. If you don't create it in QuickBooks (see footnote). Note: if you are using the UK version of Quickbooks, use "Creditors" as the Account Payable.
* Please see footnote at end of article on how to check the name for Accounts Payable in QuickBooks.
Step 4: Send your invoices to QuickBooks
- Click Sent Orders in SimpleOrder.
- On Sent Orders page tick all of the delivered orders you would like to sync with QuickBooks. Note: Only delivered or completed orders can be sent to QuickBooks. (You can filter Sent Orders to show only delivered orders).
- Make sure that all checked-off orders have an invoice number. (If you are missing an invoice number click on the individual order and add it).
- Once you tick your orders a “Send to QuickBooks” button appears on the top right hand side, Click it.
You will get a message that the order has been synced successfully. A QuickBooks icon will also appear to indicate that your account has been synced with SimpleOrder.
You will be able to see the transferred invoices in QuickBooks under Expenses > Bills. (UK version: Transactions > Expenses).
If you set a due date for payment of bills in QuickBooks' settings (either global settings or vendor's settings) you will see it reflected in the bill coming from SimpleOrder. .
Once an order has been delivered you can export it in QuickBooks.
Check the name for the accounts payable type in QuickBooks:
- Login to your QuickBooks account
- Click Transactions > Chart of Accounts
- Under the “Type” column look for Accounts payable (A/P) and check if the name that correlates with your A/P is “Accounts Payable” (the default name) or if it's a different name
- If it's a different name change it in SimpleOrder. If it doesn't exist, create it in QuickBooks.
- For UK version use Creditors as the account on QuickBooks and change the name in SimpleOrder settings to match that.
If at any time the name for Accounts Payable changes in QuickBooks, make sure to update it in your SimpleOrder account, you can do so by clicking on the Settings button on the Add-ons page.